It is very easy to get lost in today’s world. We have an influx of other people’s ideals thrust on us on a daily basis. With easy accessibility into other people’s lives (yes social media – we’re looking at you here!) it is no wonder we have lost the art of knowing what makes us happy. If it is not looking at someone’s idyllic picturesque existence online, we can be readily curating our own ‘happiness’ for other people to view. We can all fall victim to this from time to time so this is not an OutdoorCureOnline ‘telling off’ session, it is more a reminder to take some time out from this from time to time just to touch in with your inner self – the one that does not have to impress or demonstrate for other people. Keeping an open dialogue with this inner self and touching in reminds us of the small things – our own personal sunshine.
Spend Time in your Sunshine: The OutdoorCureOnline Guide to the Doing what makes you Happy!
1) Know your core personal values. The things that make you genuinely happy are closely linked to your values and knowing them ensures your day to day life is aligned with those values. We spend so much time on the day to day that if what we are doing is at odds with our values, life can feel boring, repetitive and very much like hard work!
2) Don’t be afraid to stand out from the crowd. It can be the simple, small things or the ridiculous that make you deep down happy. Following someone else’s path means you may find yourself doing things that you don’t enjoy.
3) Be open to change. Life is all about growth. As time passes and our experiences and live events teach us more and more, you may find what makes you happy has changed. Don’t keep repeating the same things just because they once made you happy. Check in and review.
4) Explore and experiment: there is a whole world out there full of different experiences. If you are reluctant to try new things (as we often are as humans), you could be missing out on an experience, activity or thing that makes you smile.
5) Check in with how you are feeling. If you live life on auto how do you acknowledge how you are feeling. Try doing things more mindfully and check in with how you are feeling. It may be something as simple as having a cup of tea or walking the dog but check in and note how you are feeling. Look for patterns – you might be surprised!
6) Slow down! We live in a fast paced, instantaneous world. If you are always rushing and buzzing from one thing to the next – whether this is physically or cognitively, how can you absorb that moment and learn from it. Let yourself feel that sunshine.
7) Readdress the balance. If, after slowing down and checking in with how you are feeling, you realise your day or week is weighted in favour of doing things that do not make you deep happy, take steps to readdress it. You will benefit from it no end.
Have a great week in your own sunshine!
The OutdoorCureOnline Team x